Catherine McAuley and the 50th International Eucharistic Congress

Catherine McAuley

In the early 1800s, our Foundress Catherine McAuley was beginning her special ministry to the poor, sick and uneducated of Dublin in a location at the corner of Baggot Street and Herbert St. – a fashionable area of the city, about 15 minutes walk away from the location of the 50th International Eucharistic Congress in the RDS.

There she built the House of Mercy with the inheritance she received from Mr. Callaghan – a Quaker man who left her everything, after Catherine had taken care of his wife for 20 years, in Coolock House.

Since the opening of the House of Mercy in Baggot Street, Catherine McAuley went on to found the Sisters of Mercy, a congregation of Catholic women which today, has some nine thousand members living and working in 44 countries worldwide.

 

 

 

 

Category: Ministry, ZZ_All
About The Author
-

The Congregation of the Sisters of Mercy is a Catholic Religious Women’s Congregation. Catherine McAuley founded the Sisters of Mercy in 1831 in Dublin, Ireland. Her aim at that time was to ‘care for the poor, sick and ignorant’. Today, 2,324 members follow in the footsteps of Catherine McAuley, in 9 countries.
www.sistersofmercy.ie