As the Vatican (26 Jan 2018) formally honours the martyrs of Algeria, watch back our interview with Sr Yvonne Gera on her firsthand memories of the Monks of Tibhirine.
A native of Malta, Sr Yvonne has given over 50 years of service as Franciscan Missionary of Mary in West Africa, Senegal and Algeria.
Pope confirms decrees for causes of Saints
source – www.vaticannews.va
During the meeting, the Pope authorized the Congregation to promulgate the Decrees concerning:
– the miracle attributed to the intercession of the Blessed Nazaria Ignazia March Mesa (in religion: Nazaria Ignazia di Santa Teresa di Gesù), Foundress of the Congregation of the Misioneras Cruzadas de la Iglesia Sisters; born in Madrid (Spain) on 10 January 1889 and died in Buenos Aires (Argentina) on 6 July 1943;
– the miracle attributed to the intercession of the Venerable Servant of God Alfonsa Maria Eppinger (born: Elisabetta), Foundress of the Congregation of the Sisters of the Most Holy Saviour; born in Niederbronn (France) on 9 September 1814 and died there on 31 July 1867;
– the miracle attributed to the intercession of the Venerable Servant of God Clelia Merloni, Foundress of the Institute of the Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus; born March 10, 1861 in Forlì (Italy) and died November 21, 1930 in Rome;
– the miracle attributed to the intercession of the Venerable Servant of God, Maria Gargani, Foundress of the Apostles of the Sacred Heart; born December 23, 1892 in Morra Irpino, today Morra De Sanctis (Italy) and died May 23, 1973 in Naples (Italy);
– the martyrdom of the Servants of God Peter Claverie, Bishop of Oran, and 18 Companions, Men and Women Religious; killed, in hatred of the Faith, in Algeria from 1994 to 1996;
– the martyrdom of the Servant of God Veronica Antal, Lay person, of the Secular Franciscan Order; born on 7 December 1935 in Nisiporeşti (Romania) and killed in hatred of the Faith on 24 August 1958 in Hălăuceşti (Romania);
– the heroic virtues of the Servant of God Ambrosio Grittani, diocesan priest and Founder of the Oblates of St Benedict John Labre; born in Ceglie del Campo (Italy) on 11 October 1907 and died on 30 April 1951 in Molfetta (Italy);