St. Mary’s Chapel Lane Belfast – new Chapel of Adoration
Fr James A. Boyle MHM introduces the little chapel of Adoration that was created during recent developments at the historic St Mary’s Chapel Lane Belfast.
Who Built St Mary’s Church?
The Census in 1782 showed that there were 365 Catholics living in Belfast. At that time, there was no Catholic Church in the City.
The Presbyterian and Church of Ireland communities took up a special collection at their services – the Handsome Collection – and made a gift of the monies donated to build the first Catholic Church in Belfast – St Mary’s Chapel Lane. The generosity of the Presbyterian and Church of Ireland people of Belfast demonstrates the unprecedented religious tolerance of that time.
It was on Sunday, 30th May 1784 that Mass was celebrated for the first time in the new church of St. Mary’s for the first time by Father Hugh O’Donnell, first Parish Priest of Belfast.
More information – stmarysbelfast.org